It has been two months now since we first set eyes on our new home town of Fukuoka, but I think that for both Vaughan and I it feels quite a bit longer. The weird and wonderful sights, sounds and smells of Japan have attacked our senses with full force, just as we were told they would! In Japan, Fukuoka is mainly renowned for three things: ramen noodles, yatai -roadside eating stalls- and a very vibrant shopping and entertainment district (shopping 'till you drop is a favorite pastime here, as in all major Japanese cities!). People here seem to love anything new and trendy, so you sometimes have to dig a bit deeper in search of the old soul of the city or historical buildings that are testimony to traditional Japan. That said, they still enjoy several festivals here, almost all of them strongly linked to spiritual beliefs and/or the changing of seasons. As I'm only now starting this blog maybe a quick photo-recap might be a good way to explore the highlights of life in Fukuoka-shi!


No comments:
Post a Comment