People who've known me for a while can attest to the fact that I've never really been a whizz in the kitchen. Sure, I can prepare a decent spaghetti & at times even a mean spinach canelloni, but apart from these Italian dishes my cooking range isn't very extensive. You can imagine then that whipping up cheap and yummy meals here in Japan has been quite a challenge, especially since supermarket shopping is still a somewhat daunting enterprise (what are all these bizarre-looking root vegetables and tubs filled with squishy/watery stuff??). While discussing these cuisine-related issues with my friend Hannah she came up with the idea to ask her Japanese teacher Kimiko to show us how to cook some typical Japanese dishes, and as Kimiko is one very energetic lady, she immediately agreed :-). Expanding our culinary horizon was not only good fun, but also really delicious, and the following day I was so proud of my new skills I just had to prepare the food for Vaughan (who gave it 2 thumbs up)! I'm thinking of maybe taking weekly cooking classes with the housewives in our neighbourhood, although that might tamper with my self-image of an independent, career-oriented 21st century woman ;-).
Hannah having a jolly good time in her kitchen
With Chef Kimiko (me trying hard not to attack the food like a ravenous freak...)



1 comment:
Nice to see that finally Vaughan has triumphed & that you are looking to become a true 'Naki woman & will be able to look after her man when he comes home from a hard day milking & clearing scrub.
Seriously though I don't know how Japanese people can prepare such etensive & quite complex meals with such small & limited kitchens.
Post a Comment