These days I'm becoming a bit of a one-trick pony with only one conversation topic on offer: Oxfam Trailwalker. Or that's how it feels anyway when the first question anyone asks me now is "how's the walking going?". Many thanks to all my dear friends and family members for showing such keen interest and offering support - you're awesome! But I have to admit that sometimes I'd prefer not to be reminded that I'm going on this mad mission. The thought of why on earth I've signed up for this has crossed my mind on a few occasions, mostly when I'm dragging myself out of bed at 7am on a Sunday to get ready for another eight-hour training walk! Having said that; despite the Wellington wind, fatigue, aching muscles and ridiculous tan lines on my legs, I am also strangely enjoying this whole experience. Stepping outside my comfort zone has been unsettling and scary at times, but it has brought with it a sense of accomplishment and -dare I say it- pride. This is the first time ever that I've pushed myself physically so feeling my fitness increase has been super exciting :-). The mental stamina might be a bit harder to achieve because walking through the night and not sleeping for 30 hours will push me to the brink of extreme grumpiness and/or nervous breakdown. Luckily V. will be on stand-by as my support person for much-needed food, hugs, leg rubs and encouragement.
And of course there are fellow Team Victorious members Shenwei, Julia & Monique, who I'm going on this journey with (and who will hopefully still be on speaking terms with me afterwards!).
With Monique & Shenwei during Round the Bays Half Marathon on 20 February
At a movie night we organised on 24 February to reach our $2,500 fundraising target
The notorious Wellington wind made some of our training walks a bit tricky...


No comments:
Post a Comment