Monday, December 05, 2005

New friends

Meeting people that you can relate to or have a connection with is not always easy, regardless of which country you're living or travelling in. Before we moved to Japan I confidently -and naively- proclaimed that I would instantly make heaps of Japanese friends, but I guess that was ignoring some obvious hurdles, like the language problem and cultural differences! Fukuoka also has a large international community so you come accross foreigners around every bend, which can be both a blessing and a bit of a curse! Wonderful because other gajins are often very interesting, easy to communicate with, and can relate to your Japan-experience. You can, however, get so comfortable in this safe haven that you don't venture out into Japan-land anymore. As I started to feel cut off from the locals I took drastic action and put up a notice in a center in town. For me quite a daring enterprise, who knew what Nigel-no-friends or full-on weirdos might respond?? I did receive a few e-mails from middle-aged Japanese men who wanted to "have coffee and chat", but after mentioning the word 'husband' they magically disappeared :-). In the end I met Yukino, a Fukuoka girl who speaks great English (thanks to living abroad in England & Australia) and who I get along with very well, so I guess personal adds do work sometimes! Last weekend Vaughan & I also had a fun time with some very cool JET's at a Las Vegas-party and were introduced to Yasuko's best friend Atsuko, who was visiting from Tokyo. Good times ...
Elena, Hannah, Lisa, me and Yukino at Fukuoka Now's Las Vegas party on Friday What would Las Vegas be without a wedding chapel? In this case the classy venue was located next to the toilets and was run by an unorthodox minister -no offence, Ian!-, but what can you expect for a measly 100 yen, right?
It is widely known that Vaughan and I are experts at getting married, so we decided to take the plunge for the 4th time on Friday! Plans are underway to turn this into an annual event ;-).

Many other couples decided to get hitched as well, some on a crazy impulse or driven by alcohol (left: Harumi and Henry), others inspired by more pure motives, like actual love (right: Dean and Elena)!

Meeting Atsuko on Saturdaynight (Matt, me, Vaughan, Yasuko, Atsuko & Joyce)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Inge! Kan je ook eens trouwen als we in dezelfde buurt zijn. Dan kan ik es naar de party komen!!!
;-)

Rock it baby! Ik kan niet wachten tot je hier bent.Ik zal je wschl meesleuren naar de wine and cheese party van mijn unief als je zin hebt...

Anonymous said...

So the question now is where & how can you marry next year?
How about you & Vaughan get married in a balloon or rent a plane for the mile high club (yep, still haven't improved my tatse in jokes).

Anonymous said...

Hey Inge!! Thanks for letting me in your diary. :) I'm sure we're gonna exprore Kyushu together during your stay and will introduce great Japanese people & culture which includes some strangeness..!! Be ready for that.;)