Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Beach bums

The title of this entry is slightly incorrect as last Sunday Vaughan and I did NOT lazy about on the sand sipping cocktails & rubbing sunscreen on each others backs (hm, sounds like fun though!), but instead biked 11km around several Fukuoka beaches. Getting active on the weekend feels good these days, it's a welcome relief from being glued to my desk during the week. Yep, the Glamorous Life of a student :-)! I can't complain though because I am absolutely fasinated by my first Masters paper, Development Studies. Frequent bursts of 'Aha!' have accompanied my reading of textbooks & research notes, as if I'm finally getting the point. That point being how the powerstructure of the globe anno 2006 -basically Western hegemony- greatly influences decisions on environment, trade, development aid and the overall well-being of the so-called 'Third World'. Amazing how everything seems to be interconnected: colonialism & the supremacy of the World Bank, poverty & Southern environmental degradation, foreign debt & financial crises, agricultural subsidies & protectionism, ..., it's all linked and very often it's got grubby Western fingerprints on it. Does this mean I'm turning into an anti-globalist?? Nope, but my newfound insights certainly make me look at the world with different eyes... Anyway, fear not that I'll be filling this blog with random musings and naive rants, I'll try and keep my enthusiasm to myself! (Apologies by the way to all the friends here who I've bombarded with development facts over the past month...).

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Konnichiwa Inge! Any plans for Golden Week? There will still be geisha dances going on in Kyoto
(^-^)/

Inge said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'm going to have to wait 'till next spring to catch the geisha dances because my man & I are staying in Kyushu for Golden Week (trying to save...). We will visit some spots in Honshu after the JET recontracting conference in Kobe, I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Boy is Kyushu different to Noto! Round this time we were still round hanami. Defintiely not beach weather!
After Kobe try Nara. Or if you've got more time (& a little more money) why not try Kanazawa & Ishikawa?

Anonymous said...

Glad you're enjoying the Dev. Studies. If you like that one there's plenty more. Anyway feel free to 'bombard' me & I'll send you my words of wisdom in return.
By the way have you got your grade back for your 1st assignment?