Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Free at last

Bizarre how you can desperately wish for something and yet not feel the expected elation when the moment has arrived... After Karen's departure in October both Vaughan & I lived through five rather hellish days & nights, frantically trying to finish our essay's by the due date (we both failed & missed our deadlines!). The few spare moments in that week were spent fantasising wildly about a variety of wonderful leisurely activities, with vows to be bums forevermore :-). But once the work was over and I had lazied around for a few days I actually started missing the feeling of accomplishment & usefulness that my Masters give me. The transition from studying daily to having a sea of free time (three months of break to be exact) is taking some adjustment, no matter how many other worthwile 'projects' I'm throwing myself into. First on the list is my return to Japanese study, which I had all-but abandoned since February. So on Wednesdaynights I now find myself back in the beginners class, which is empowering rather than humiliating as this time around I'm not completely clueless! Seeing how the new first year JETs are bonding makes me realise though how much I miss many of last year's people; several of these friends are simply irreplaceable :-(. I'm also keeping myself occupied with writing the content of our future website (Vaughan's designing it!), reading all those books on Japan I didn't have time for earlier on, and planning ambitious travels for 2007. Still, my preferred activity at the moment would be an internship at the UN Habitat office here in Fukuoka, but I have not received an answer from them yet. Being part of an organisation that is in charge of human resettlement programs & poverty alleviation worldwide is really my ambition, fingers crossed I can get my foot in the door...
Our first weekend of freedom: hoorah to no longer being glued to a desk! I crazily suggested a 40 km bikeride to Itoshima Peninsula, which is quite out of character really. The blue sky, fresh air & amazing food at Sunset Cafe were soo worth the tired muscles though; nothing like ocean views to revive the spirits! This spot with the wedded rocks & the white torii is also one of my favourite places in Fukuoka, very scenic :-).

2 comments:

James Heneghan said...

I often rode to Sunset Road from Maebaru, which took around 45 minutes from my house. However, I can't imagine how long it took you guys who are a lot further away! You must have had sore bums by the end of it!

Inge said...

James, it took us about two hours there and the same time getting back, although by that point my bum did most certainly ache! Vaughan bikes 26 km to work every day though so for him this was a walk in the park ;-).