Saturday, March 24, 2007

Quotes of the week

I realise this blog is only a shadow of its former self these days, but please bear with me as I'm settling into a new job & am dealing with the fact that my alone-time has now been reduced to 40 min. a day! While all of us wait for a new entry that will actually shed some light on my current life, here are some interesting excerpts in the mean time. Yep, I'm too exhausted to write my own lines so I decided to steal other people's!
An insightful and oh-so true observation on what it means to be an expat, from V-Grrrl, an American woman living in Belgium (www.v-grrrl.com):
"I am now a member of the “third culture,” one that is neither fully here nor there. To be an expat is to be someone who makes a home in the space between where you’re from and where you are. It’s to live both inside and outside the world beyond your door."
The Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported this astonishing fact a few days ago - no wonder so many Japanese are stressed-out and uptight ;-)!
"According to a health ministry survey released over the weekend, almost half of married Japanese couples in their late 40s are in relationships with little or no sexual activity. "The increase in sexless couples is caused by the decline in communication abilities between men and women," said a member of the research group of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Inge,

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy seeing your photos of Japan, especially the ones of Mt. Fuji and the festivals.

I admire how you jump into the local culture--I like the photos of you and your friend in kimonos!

So, if I were to choose an authentic Belgian costume, what would it be? ; )

Inge said...

Hello Veronica, thanks for your comment! I hope you don't mind that I used some lines of your blog here - they just really struck a chord with me. As far as authentic Belgian costumes go, it's sad to say very little of our 'folkloristic' culture is left... Maybe an outfit by Dries van Noten or any other famous Belgian designer ;-)? Enjoy springtime in Brussels!