Friday, April 13, 2007

Miyako Odori!

I did it! I went to Kyoto last weekend to watch the famous Geisha Spring Dances (Miyako Odori) and certainly don't regret it! This one-minute video was shot illicitly from my seat in the 8th row so apologies for the less-than-perfect image quality or my unsteady camera technique. I hope it offers a unique insight into Kyoto's geisha culture nevertheless :-). These maiko (geisha-in-training) were filmed while making their stage entry in the Prelude part of the one-hour performance. Photos of the six other acts are coming soon...

3 comments:

Melissa said...

(^-^) YAY! I'm so happy yuou finally made it! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did (^_<)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited!!! With access to superfast internet at home I can now watch these movie clips you post! The dance was so elegant and mesmorising, so glad I could watch it.

~ Kelly in NZ

Kanapu said...

DAMN!! You're blog is wicked!! Mean photos. How do you get the white border around your pics?? Teach me the ways of the blog, Grasshopper hahahaha