Obviously the time for writing about New Year's Eve has well & truly passed, but allow me to quickly refer to the evening anyway, just to state what a mementous occasion it was to have myself, Corinne AND Ellie in New Zealand simultaneously! The last time this occurred was during my goodbye lunch in Wellington in March 2003, quite a long while ago. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Ellie (see photo above) moved to Sydney three years ago and Corinne has been living on & off in Europe, so being able to catch up with both these fine ladies together was a treat to be savoured :-).
After meeting up for Saturday night drinks on December 29, we all gathered again at the Cordes' house on New Year's Eve, with the added company of Ellie's man David and Corinne's friend Kate. I had secretly been looking forward to this moment, because family tradition has it that on New Year's Eve Corinne's parents prepare oliebollen and bitterballen, two greasy & delectable Dutch snacks that are part of the family's Dutch background. They are eaten in Belgium as well and conjure up feelings of coziness & home for me.
When Klaus started preparing the oliebollen I was drawn towards the deepfryer like a moth to a flame! He gave me some instructions on how to prepare them so there's every possibility that I will adopt/steal their tradition and feast on these again next year. That's the beauty of being an immigrant I guess - you just create customs as you go :-). 

2 comments:
Your post read delicious and proficiaat on finding some good food down there in NZ ;)
Inge, het is supergrappig hoe je op de foto vanuit de zetel op het lekkers zit te wachten!!!
Ik wil nog fotos van je huisje zien!!!
Bethjex
Post a Comment