Saturday, February 23, 2008

Change of course

Lately I've been pondering what the exact purpose of this blog is now that we no longer live in the wondrous nation of Japan. Not to say that New Zealand isn't equally fabulous, but there are certainly less cultural ideosyncracies and bewildering encounters to write about. So should I regale you now with the details of my new life as a working cityslicker, or could anyone really care less? Then I remembered a quote from the ever-wise Michael Palin, written as the foreword to his book 'Diaries 1969-1979: The Python Years':
"I feel it would be a small failure to let life go by without in some way documenting it. To keep a record of how I fill the days is an antidote to hindsight. It seals the present moment and preserves it from the tidying process of context, perspective, analysis and balance."
As usual, the man has a point! However, my motivation won't come from wanting to keep a daily account of my life, but more from writing about the issues close to my heart or topics currently on my mind. I wonder if posts about cluster bombs, international development, travel and literature will drive away my small readership?? If so, this will just be a testimony for myself in years to come... I guess I'll find out soon enough!

2 comments:

Di Mackey said...

No no no, please write :)

Unknown said...

Inge,

When is our next rendezvous?

I got into grad school! I'm only in SF through maybe May or June. Are you planning travels (after finally settling down for a second)?

I thought of you the other day--it was Christopher Marlowe's birthday--and I thought of you and the Shakespeare documentary :)