Saturday, June 07, 2008

Making a splash

Ever since I met Vaughan he's been regailing me with tales of his days as a rafting guide on the mighty Kaituna River in Rotorua. I've rafted before, both in the US and in New Zealand, but somehow this river seemed a lot more daunting & intimidating than any others. Could it possible have something to do with the fact that it contains the highest commercially rafted waterfall in the world, at an impressive 7 metres? Um, yes! Plummeting down a raging flow of water from such great height isn't exactly my idea of a good time, but I was quite curious nonetheless...
As we were 'mini-breaking' in Rotorua last weekend, the time had finally come for me to experience this trip firsthand... I am glad to report that our raft did NOT flip over (apparently there's a 30% chance this will happen) and that it was far less scary than I had imagined. Still, as you can see in the photo above, the instant we hit the waterfall I bent in two, while Vaughan was comfortable enough to look straight ahead! You can't be too worried when surrounded by scenery like this, right?

1 comment:

Di Mackey said...

A bow to your bravery.

30% is too much for me :)