Thursday, October 23, 2008

Off the radar

It probably seems to many of you that I have disappeared off the radar in the past month or so. Besides the occasional comment on Facebook I've been mostly absent from internet-based communication, which crazily enough has created feelings of guilt after remarks like "why didn't you write back?" and "When can we FINALLY skype again??". There is the overload of email and voicemail and snailmail and textmessages and all the people I want to correspond with. I think maybe I need to learn how to say no or how to, with a heavy heart, sometimes just press delete delete delete... Then there are lunches and coffee dates and book clubs and bbq's and fundraisers and parties and quiz nights and volunteerwork and "let's get together soon!". All of this socialising has been tremendously fun & fulfilling, but now it might be time to get off the roaring train and SLOW DOWN a bit! I guess I just want to enjoy too many things at once - like there is too much to love about life and I can't choose what to pick :-). In the end, however, this overenthusiasm creates over-stimulation and lack of sleep. So from now on I'll attempt to keep the calendar open a few nights a week, make time for quiet evenings at home and give myself permission again to be a lazy bum! I'm starting off on the right track this Saturday, when Vaughan and I are boarding a plane to Tonga. Fingers crossed I have absolutely nothing to report on our return ;-).

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh you lucky lucky thing! Enjoy Tonga - I am very jealous.

Good luck with your slowing down goal. I find it incredibly hard to say no to people, although here in Hamilton it has been nowhere near as bad since I have very few friends!

Di Mackey said...

This made me smile. I'm sitting here, absolutely wiped out after perhaps doing too much for too long.

Maybe I need a little Tonga too :)

Anyway, you were missed and I'm glad to have caught up a little today.