Just before 2010 started I decided that this would a year in which to do or try several of the things I've been too busy, afraid or uninspired to attempt before. Signing up for Oxfam Trailwalker was step 1 in this process, because pushing myself physically has certainly never been on the agenda before! I also enrolled in an online course called Mondo Beyondo - An online class about dreaming, designed by the ever wise Andrea Scher at Superhero Journal. If this sounds a tad self-indulgent, well, you're right but there's no shame in trying to figure out your direction in life and how to get there. I was drawn to this concept in particular because it inspires people to look at their priorities and encourages risk-taking (and silly behaviour...). I always have so many balls up in the air and am interested by too many different things, so I was hoping for a bit more clarity and focus.
Photo by Andrea Scher
In the end I didn't contribute as actively to the course as I had anticipated, but it still crystalized a few of my goals & dreams, be they personal, professional, physical or just plain trivial! Here goes:
- Get the physical fitness to do anything I set my mind to
- Work for UNHCR or Refugee Services Aotearoa
- Experience the joys of motherhood
- Develop an oral history about my father's life
- Grow into yoga - physically and spiritually
- Go on a chocolate pilgrimage to Central America and Europe
- Spend a few years doing volunteer work with VSA
- Live in the Middle East for a while and learn Arabic
- Become a good, soulful photographer & have a dark room at home
- Discuss world history with Michael Wood (a longstanding dream!)
- Open up my own travel bookshop/cafe
- Embrace fun & silliness!
- Continue to develop strong female friendships
- Learn how to play the accordeon
- Eat nothing but pasta, pizza and gelato in Italy for a month :-)


No comments:
Post a Comment