Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pole pole

I had no preconceived notions about my volunteering experience, but one thing I did not expect is how incredibly busy I'd be at Pipeline IDP Camp. Not that I hadn't set out to work hard and make a difference, but I've been quite surprised at how packed my days are - I even had to buy a calendar to note down all my meetings because my schedule was getting too full! From the very beginning I've also found myself rushing from place to place to fit it all in. Yes, that's right, no pole pole ('slowly slowly') for me; it seems that the famous 'African time' is reserved for the locals and that a mzungu like me is expected to move at a more fast-paced Western speed ;-). This tactic has certainly worked because I've been super productive so far. Still, from now on I'd like to take it a bit easier, go more pole pole and find time to sit with the IDPs over a cup of tea, listen to their stories and simply get to know them. I'm sure that experience will be just as valuable :-).

No comments: