Saturday, November 27, 2010

Re-entry

Well, the trip has officially come to an end and we are back on New Zealand soil, acclimatising with V's family for a few days. I have to admit that there are mixed feelings about our return: on the one hand I'm quite relieved to rest my treavel-weary bones and have a place to call our own again. It's also pretty cool that I can now finally take off the backpack, throw away my worn-out sandals and wear something other than my travel 'uniform'. I never really minded having a very limited wardrobe while I was on the road, but it is lovely to rediscover a whole world of outfits that I'd almost forgotten about! On the other hand I'm feeling a tad homesick for Belgium and also wish I could have spent more time with the IDPs in Nakuru. Their world seems so far away from mine at the moment and a lack of internet access means that it's hard to find out what's happening over there. Still, during my last visit in September there was a real spirit of hope and optimism in the camp so I'll just cross my fingers for everyone and wish them the best. In the mean time our job here is to rest up, move into our house again, reconnect with friends and family, go back to work (in V's case) and make some sense of the amazing, mind-altering journey we've just had :-).

3 comments:

Di said...

It was stunning to follow you guys as you wandered. I was sorry to miss seeing you this time and yet, I entirely understood :-)

Inge said...

I know, I was really sad not to be able to catch up with you guys - we were SO close! Next time V & I come over to Belgium we'll try to make more time so there's less going back and forth (and less causes to get sick). We'll see who gets where first: you in NZ or me in Europe...

Di said...

Let's ... I know we've been slack but it's complicated for me back in NZ. Let's see if the paperwork is done and I can finally return home ... after more than 6 years :-)

But I do so get that you run out of time when you come home here. I promise.