What a difference a year makes. While 2010 was all about movement for me (Oxfam Trailwalker + travel), 2011 looks like it'll be a year of staying put/grounded. It's a nice change because reconnecting with our immediate surroundings has been a good antidote to being on the road for so long. In my case I might be taking this a bit too far since I'm spending an awful lot of time at home these days. That's what unemployment and meagre funds will do to you! At first I lamented the fact that I couldn't go explore the delights of Wellington on a daily basis, but to my surprise I have now started to enjoy this new routine. Who knew this was possible?! Our tiny budget is also forcing us to be creative in the culinary department, which has resulted in several rather tasty meals :-). To top it all off, V. and I have recently become slightly addicted to two fabulous cooking shows on New Zealand tv: the travel-related Jamie Does... and the mind-boggling Heston's Feasts, in which British Michelin chef Heston Blumenthal acts like the Mad Professor with food. I'm also currently in love with Kiwi cook Annabel Langbein and am even contemplating going organic... Oh dear, does this mean I'm turning into a Domestic Goddess? Hm, not quite - I don't think I'll ever turn into a Martha Stewart-type, but I am learning the value of just being at home and not needing constant outside stimulus. I blame this newfound attitude on my friends who, during our absence, all started nesting, producing babies and tending to their veggie gardens. What's that saying again: 'If you can't beat them, join them'? Let's see how long I keep this up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment