Saturday, January 01, 2011

Year in Review

Leap, and the net will appear
Happy New Year everyone!! I started 2010 with the goal to push my own boundaries and see how far I could go, both physically and mentally. It turns out that this was a good idea because on all accounts it has been a Year to Remember. Saying 'yes' to a range of seemingly crazy suggestions at times made me feel overwhelmed and out of my depth (not to menton exhausted), but the risks have been more than worth it!

In the past twelve months I

  • started the year by walking the Queen Charlotte Track with V.
  • finally got over my fear of driving in New Zealand (left hand side of the road etc)
  • took up the rather insane project to participate in Oxfam Trailwalker, a 100 km trek for charity. Luckily the months of hard training paid off and all four members of Team Victorious made it to the finish line :-).
  • decided to resign from my job to go on an overseas adventure
  • headed to Kenya to volunteer in Pipeline IDP camp
  • met my Kenyan 'family' & forged new friendships with many of the IDPs
  • was amazed by the generosity of some people when I fundraised for school fees
  • reconnected with many lovely NZAID scholars in Kenya and Tanzania
  • discovered several parts of East Africa and Egypt on our four-month journey
  • got an insight into how the development/aid industry operates
  • celebrated our tenth anniversary during a week-long getaway in Rome :-)
  • enjoyed a historical reunion with my four best Belgian girlfriends in October!
  • applied for my dream job at Refugee Services & came in second...
  • became an auntie/godmother!!

If this coming year is only half as exciting, fulfilling and life-changing as 2010 then I can call myself truly lucky.

What are some of your memorable moments of 2010?

No comments: