Having a social life in Japan without occasionally bursting out in song is not easy, because karaoke is a national sport here! So far I had succesfully avoided embarrassing myself, offering resistance to several attempts by Yasuko and fellow gaijins to drag me along. Blame it on the effects of an all-you-can-eat-and-drink restaurant or on the relaxed atmosphere of the evening, but this Saturday I finally made my karaoke debut ... To add insult to injury the karaoke complex we visited is notorious for offering hilarious costumes in which to perform, ranging from tight black ensembles to the standard nurse's, school student's, or French maid's outfits. I happily joined the crowd and re-appeared as a maid in a nurse's shirt, ahum! Despite my initial reservations it turned out to be great fun, kind of like a sing-along around the fire at summercamp, except with high-tech equipment and lots more beer! Can't say what everyone else thought of my version of Britney Spears' 'Baby, One More Time' though... 
Henry (UK) lets himself go during a rendition of the classic 'My Way', while Hannah (US) and Elena (Australia) look through the catalogue to find some songs


3 comments:
Kun je nog meer foto's plaatsen van jij in dergelijke kostuumpjes? ;-)
Inge,
Is dit een 'nurse shirt', ik dacht eerder aan een verkeerd gekozen Fiji bruidsjurk.
Sorry I still hate karaoke. I think the translation, as it was explained to me, 'empty orchestra' says it all.
Try being in a small bar with a drunken salaryman screaming into the mike. Not fun!
By the way, I'm sure the costume fulfilled a couple of Vaughan's 'imaginings.
Post a Comment