Monday, February 20, 2006

Baring all

Japan’s misfortune of sitting on top of one of the most thermally active areas of the world does come with an upside: thousands of natural hot springs -onsen- are scattered across the country. Some of the best hot spring resorts are in areas of great natural beauty, thus making a great travel destination. In my ongoing search for the quintessential Japan experience the time had come to shed all my inhibitions and explore the relaxing qualities of these waters! Luckily I had the expert guidance of my friend Yukino, a self-confessed onsen addict who missed them terribly while living abroad. She prevented me from committing serious cultural offenses such as:
* Entering the male bathing area (onsen are stricly seggregated)
* Wearing a bathing suit (all nude is the only way to go!)
* Washing myself in the bath (NEVER use soap or shampoo in the bath, do it beforehand in a designated area)
* Staring at other bathers (although I noticed passing glances in my direction from several old ladies!)
The Japanese have made an art out of bathing and see a visit to an onsen as a cleansing experience for both mind & body. Stressed-out salarymen can recover from the rigors of the rat-race and soak the worries away, housewives take a well-deserved break from their daily routine and people of all ages bond in a non-hierarchical way (unusual for the structered society here). So everyone leaves happier and more relaxed than when they entered, including me :-). I loved the experience so much I immediately started recommending this particular onsen to our friends & went back this Sunday with Vaughan, Hannah and Lisa. Next time I'll be really brave and do away with my oversized towel alltogether...
It goes without saying I couldn't take photo's in the actual bathing area so this picture is taken in the onsen restaurant. Nothing like a delicious dessert to satisfy a post-onsen appetite!

No comments: