Thursday, June 22, 2006

The heat is on

At 4am tomorrow morning quite a few blurry-eyed Japanese might be sitting in front of their tv (my friend Yukino being one of them!) hoping for a miracle that will keep them in the soccer World Cup. The outcome of this fateful battle against Brazil is described in epic newspaper terms as "death or glory" for the Blue Samurais, nice way to take the pressure off guys! The Japanese have of course little to no chance in beating Brazil, but good on them for keeping a brave face :-). While Vaughan and I support the 'Nippon ganbarre!' cries, neither of us has plans to actually get up and watch the game, although we might be wide awake anyway due to early summer-insomnia. Yep, the hot, rainy, horribly humid season has started with a vengeance, making hair frizz, bodies feel like they're coated in grease and giving me personally a lot of headaches. Sheets & futons turn damp, clothes fail to dry and even the smallest actions cause an accumulation of sweat on the face; good times... Thank god none of the creepy-crawlies have shown up in our flat because summer here is a fun fair for jumping spiders, mosquitoes, centipedes and worst of all, cockroaches... Oh well, only two months before I can escape to the relative cool of the Belgian summer. In the mean time I retreat to air-conditioned cafes to study and console myself with the thought that in New Zealand it's snowing like never before and our flat there didn't have heating... Stay warm down under everyone!
UPDATE on 23/06: It's packing time for the Japanese soccer team as they lost 4-1 to Brazil early this morning. I wonder what kind of welcoming they'll receive when they come home and whether they'll have to bow and apologise for letting their nation down. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: