Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Prom night

These past 10 months in Japan have provided both Vaughan and me with plenty of opportunities to try out new things, and last Saturday I got to add one more to my list: my first ever Prom. North Americans are pretty used to this high-school tradition of playing dress-up & circling around the opposite sex, but I went to a Belgian, all-girls Catholic institution where the only males around were unattractive, middle-aged teachers! This might somewhat explain my excitement, especially when my neighbour Evania, uber-fashionista par excellence, offered to style me for the evening. Although make-up is still not something I'm super comfortable with, I loved the result, thanks again :-).

The organisers followed the rules of prom-structure but added a subversive twist here & there, including graduation certificates for departing JETs, randomly electing a Prom King and Queen, cheesy eighties music, saccharine slowdancing and a surprising helium-induced version of the George Michael classic 'Careless Whisper' (kudos to Ian & Greer for this!). Vaughan didn't feel like attending the prom festivities but joined me at the after-party until 4am, together with such fine people as Erik, Nathalie, Evania, Roman (see photos below) and heaps more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you Vaughan for resisting the American cultural imperialism of the 'Prom'!

Origamikid said...

Our good friend Eric has quite the "chops" on his face. Nice prom, whish I could have attended.

Also, sorry about not making it to your Bday party. Say hello to everyone for me.

~Mario