On the first Sunday of September last year I had already packed my bags and was saying goodbye to everyone in Belgium, ready to plunge into a new life in Fukuoka. This time around I arranged for my stay to be almost six weeks long, which sadly means I'll be missing my man for another 16 days :-(... Oh well, not much to do about that except to fully enjoy all the aspects of home I will undoubtedly miss once I'm back in Asia! The past week has certainly involved quite a lot of my favourite Flemish things: a night at the theatre, spending time with family & friends, checking out some more of the countryside and as ever plenty of good food (although my stomach's protesting at so much richness!). Tomorrow I'm visiting the newborn baby of my friends Griet & Brecht and after that it's off to Amsterdam for a few days to catch up with some Kiwi and Dutch friends. Stories & photos will be posted when I get back, mata ne :-).
Last Saturday Sylvie & I went to the Theatre Festival in Antwerp, where we had dinner in the gorgeous foyer of the playhouse.
To our excitement our seats were located in a velvety red theatre box, very posh!

The countryside around Poperinge is dotted with cemeteries, a legacy of its strategic location during the First World War.
Sandra, my youngest aunt (only 10 years older) and also my favourite :-)
My 8-year-old cousin Maxim (son of Kris & Sandra) tries out his father's motorbike helmet


3 comments:
Me wants to go to Belguim! It looks so lovely and full of such rich and vibrant history...and the food! Chocolate, cheese, bread! My three favourite things!
- Kelly
Looks like you're having a great trip home! I agree with kelly...I think I need to get to Beligium one of these days. Looks beautiful!
Hey Kelly & Melissa, thanks for the comments! I definitely recommend a quick trip to Belgium if you're ever in the region. It might not be as famous as France or England, but my wee little country has some treasures in store :-). Feel free to come visit when Vaughan and I move back there (not sure when)!
Post a Comment