Saturday, October 20, 2007

The bright side

Our life in the past six weeks has stood in stark contrast to the action-packed happenings in Japan and Europe. Vaughan has been glued to his desk trying to finish his Masters, and in the mean time I've become somewhat of a domestic goddess. Despite sporadic sleepless nights and worries about our future (where will we live/work/raise our future children??), I've managed to let things go a bit and, even better, actually find a positive side to this situation. Yes, this is amazing for an eternal pessimist like me but with the help of 2 inspiring websites, things have started to look up :-). Thanks to the folks at www.acomplaintfreeworld.org and www.superherodesigns.com/journal/ for reminding me of the silver lining...
  • :-(: Our teeny budget means that there's little to no money for trips to cafĂ©'s, restaurants or deli shops (usually one of our favourite passtimes)
  • :-): Instead, I've discovered the joys of home cooking & baking and now pride myself on having made fresh soup, several types of muffins, buttermilk pancakes, cake and other delights. And on the occasions where we have bought nice treats, they've tasted better than ever
  • :-(: Being unemployed inevitably means spending a lot of time at home
  • :-): My daily rendez-vous at 2pm with 'Oprah' was always something to look forward to though - let's face it, the woman rocks!
  • :-(: Having no social life to speak of is tough and makes me feel a bit lonely & isolated
  • :-): But thanks to the magical invention of Facebook I can now keep in touch with a growing number of friends, some of whom I haven't heard from in years. Sign up now!
  • :-(: Waiting for my new NZ residence permit to arrive drove me to near insanity
  • :-): It gave me a chance to really figure out what kind of career I'm interested in, so now my job search is a lot more focussed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing a really wonderful job of turning situations around to a positive light! Chin up old chap & see you soon.

KB

Veronica said...

This is such a classic "expat" piece. I can feel your restlessness and also sense your interest in where that "restlessness" is taking you. It's a hard journey but a rewarding one. Hang tight.