Saturday, August 02, 2008

Virtual travel

In the past few days several parts of New Zealand have been battered by huge storms, flash floods, high winds and even a tiny tornado. We’re certainly having a wet ‘n wild winter here down under! While Wellington escaped the worst of it, we still had the wettest July month on record, with near-constant rain, southerly gales and very little sun. I have to admit that this turbulent weather has had an impact on my psyche, especially because I keep getting reports from the hot and sun soaked northern hemisphere! I’m desperately longing for the European summer, filled with friends & family, long bright days, music festivals and crowded beaches (don’t miss the air pollution though!). Not that winter here hasn’t had its cosy moments, but somehow in my head it feels wrong to sip mulled wine (= glühwein) in July! So what does a girl do to substitute a lack of overseas travel? Experience all corners of the world by indulging in some virtual travel instead! Luckily Wellington’s cultural diversity offers plenty of opportunities for that, so in the last few weeks I have attended an Indian spice evening at Trade Aid, shared Chinese yum cha with ex-workmates (see photo), savoured classic English high tea at the James Cook Hotel, watched movies from Afghanistan, Lebanon and Pakistan at the International Film Festival, had a sake tasting experience, bought Italian delicacies at the Mediterranean Warehouse, tried Iraqi tamarind juice for the first time (yuk) and watched a ladies-only Muslim fashion show. It’s not the real thing, but close enough :-)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it helps it's been raining in London for days. I was drinking Pimms this evening and it felt all wrong. My tomato plants aren't getting any sun and I'm having to fit an umbrella as well as sunglasses into my handbag. Tragedy!

Sounds like you're having a swell time in Wellington. Have you begun the new job yet?

cc x

Di Mackey said...

Hi Inge, it occurred to me that you might enjoy the blog of the Irish woman living in Auckland with her kiwi bloke ...

http://deadlyjelly.wordpress.com/

If not, no worries but I thought I would pass it on anyway :)

I hope alles goed over there. We just had a kanaalrat tonight ... oh lala, it was something else. Fortunately I come from the Antwerpen of the Southern Hemisphere so no weather is really a surprise, unless it's a really long settled summer :)