Sunday, January 25, 2009

A day at the races

I can't say that an afternoon at the horse races instantly strikes me as a blast, but Wellington Cup Day is an exception to that. Apparently this isn't just one of New Zealand's most important races, but those in the know call it "an event where all of Wellington comes to party as visiting dignitaries, VIP's and international visitors gather at Trentham for an unforgettable day of glamour and horsepower." Well, if you put it that way, I'm in ;-)! Vaughan and I are always up for a new experience so yesterday we gathered a few friends and headed to Trentham Racecourse. It turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable day, with gorgeous weather, a great venue, plenty of food & drink and enough flashy outfits to please any fashion victim. Kiwis are usually very casually dressed so it was a treat to see people making a big deal of the occasion. I loved our visit so much I wouldn't mind making this an annual tradition!
Assma, Sahra and me. Hats are an almost mandatory accessory to events like this - hence me donning my low-key black one! The entertainment on the side was more fascinating than the actual races :-)
To see and being seen is what this day is all about! Vaughan and Sahra placing their first bet. V. had no luck that time around but he did win a mighty $3.40 a few hours later... Just enough to cover the cost of a Coke! Sahra, Assma, me and Rachel Our gang checking out the day's fashion show, where women in all kinds of outfits were vying for the (enviable?) title of 'Lady of the Carnival'. Some ensembles were fabulous but we were probably harsher with our comments than the judges!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Inge! Dat ziet er super uit in Wellington. Zo een mooi weer!

Is dat Rachel haar vriendje?