Thursday, January 01, 2009

Taking stock

One of the aspects of Japan I loved was the way the Japanese ritualize the New Year by physically cleaning their homes, dispelling evil spirits on New Year's Eve and by eating fortuitous foods on 1 January. As a result, the end of December offers an opportunity to reflect on what has gone before and January is symbolically started with a blank slate. I realised yesterday that I somewhat miss this symbolic approach to the New Year... Sure, people here make resolutions and get drunk on 31 December, but pausing and taking stock aren't necessarily part of the experience. So as a compulsive list maker I've decided to make a rundown of things from the past year I'd like to acknowledge and remember:
  • Most exhilerating moment: jetboating at full throttle on Lake Rotorua in June, with me laughing & screaming so hard my jaw hurt afterwards. Gotta love a good adrenaline rush!
  • Loveliest surprise: Vaughan taking me out on a 'Mystery Day' for my birthday, which involved lunch in the sun, a professional facial & massage, divine chocolates and a long walk along the coast :-).
  • Best learning experience: being introduced to Iraqi and Arab culture by Helmi & Athraa, which has resulted in immersing myself in books & TV programs about Islam. I'm even planning on buying the Koran in 2009 - should be a highly interesting read...
  • Greatest challenge: not getting overly emotionally involved, whether it was in my role as a Refugee Services volunteer or in my new job. I've come to realise that a bit of distance can actually be a positive thing.
  • Nicest achievement: being able to build a good circle of friends since arriving in Wellington in Jan. '08. Past experiences have taught me that a great social ife isn't always easy to find so I'm not taking any of our new friends for granted.
  • Biggest disappointment: not being able to go home in 2008 and thereby missing both my brother & Ilse's wedding + the wedding party of my dear friend Liesbeth...
  • Wisest career decision: resigning from Immigration NZ and accepting the job offer from Vic for the NZAID Contract Manager position. While it's been full-on I have no regrets whatsoever!
  • Best films: 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly' for its utterly poetic & moving character, and 'Mammia Mia' because it made me smile and dance every time!
  • Best music: the choral singing during the Sunday morning service in St. Mary's Cathedral in Nuku'alofa, Tonga. The harmonious sounds travelled up to the cathedral's wooden beams and gave me a real sense of calm.
  • Most impressive event: the World of Wearable Arts show in September, which is a magical mix of avant-garde fashion, theatre, dance, music, acrobatics and design. Thanks again to my colleague Asmaa who was part of the show & who got me a last-minute ticket :-).
  • Goosebump moment: listening to tales of ancient astronomy and Maori starlore in the stone circle at Stonehenge Aotearoa. I have since vowed to do lots more stargazing...

Happy New Year to all of you, may 2009 be a fascinating, joyful and inspiring year!

2 comments:

Di Mackey said...

It reads like an excellent year you can be incredibly proud of :)

Looking forward to catching up with you in 2009.

All the very best,
Di

you-wee because said...

Hi Inge!

I just came across your blog and really must say: One of the most interesting and many-faceted blogs you can find in the depth of the internet. Great! It's really fun to go through.
Your forename sounds German although your are (used to be) Belgian. With a little luck you are able to speak and understand German, too?
Ich kann es ja mal versuchen, vielleicht habe ich Glueck!?!?!? ;-)
Perpahs you grew up in the Flemish part of Belgium where it's more likely to meet some German speaking guys...

Anyway! Now your are on the "other" side of our crazy planet and so I may send some kind regards to you from bitterly (you even may say f***ing) cold Central Europe (-18°C in the early morning in front of my appartment),
Met vriendelijke groeten / salutations, mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Uwe.