Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Confessions of an addict

The Land of the Rising Sun can soon be renamed the Land of the Sinking because we've experienced some pretty impressive downpours & thunderstorms in the past few days. Poor Vaughan has had to bike his 24 km to & from work through these natural showers far too many times lately, but being a staunch Kiwi male he takes it on the chin without moaning :-). I have the good (?) fortune of being a housewive/student which means I don't necessarily need to leave our flat in stormy weather and can devote my time to 'productive' indoor activities. Or that's the idea at least, since I have three essays due before leaving for Belgium in a month! Too bad I'm experiencing a slight dependency problem at the moment... That I have a sweet tooth to rival anyone is no secret but now a new addiction has sprung up, one that's just as hard to beat. Yep, I am sad to admit that I've become a bit of a Blog Addict, although I'm hoping it's not too late to kick the habit! Give me a well-written, tragicomic account of somebody's life, whether they're living in Siem Reap, Moscow or New York, and I'm glued to the laptop until I've devoured every last entry. Yesterday I was completely engrossed in the fascinating, funny and heartfelt blog of Petite Anglaise, an English woman residing in Paris. Her perceptive pieces on Parisian oddities, French frustrations, dealing with cultural differences and raising a child bilingually are worthy of literary praise; if you've got some time check it out (www.petiteanglaise.com). It makes me feel like my blog is a tad superficial and doesn't touch on all things Japanese enough, so I might make some changes in the future. In the mean time it's back to researching issues of urban sustainability! Too bad nobody's written a blog about that...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are Judy and Wayne living in Green Valley 25 miles south of Tucson, Az. Ikumi is a great friend of ours, she is delightful. We visited Japan and Fukuoka in the fall of 02'. Ikumi was in Cal. at the time. Our main reason for the visit was to see Kiku san and her family in Fukuoka. We met Ikumi through Kiku. They met while attending Citrus College located in Azuusa. Ca. This is my first visit to a blog. It looks good so far.