Last Monday we celebrated Marine Day, a secular holiday that was only introduced about a decade ago and doesn't have a traditional meaning. Nevertheless, it signifies some leisure time for the hard-working Japanese and what better way to spend it than on shopping, the national sport? I got invited by Yukino to join her and her mom on a trip to Diamond City, a huge shopping mall on the outskirts of Fukuoka. As I'm still 'financially challenged' there was no option of consuming vast amounts of money, but I did have one item on my list. Ever since admiring elegant young girls in yukata at last year's summer festivals I have wanted one myself, and now the time had come! The yukata is a casual form of kimono, often made from cotton and a common sight at traditional festivals, firework displays and other summer events.
We started our quest in a sophisticated kimono store where the lovely lady dressed me in a highly fashionable, designer-made and of course expensive yukata. As much as I loved the intricate pattern & silky material, at $US 500 it was definitely out of my range...
So off we went to more appropriate retailers, like the ubiquitous Japanese chain Uniqlo. I was slightly skeptical about the quality and style of their yukatas, but to my pleasant surprise I found one that was both easy on the eye & my budget! Yukino's mum (pictured above) used her expert knowledge to wrap me up, making me wonder how I will ever get this done myself. The plan though is to wear it at least once before I leave for Belgium in three weeks, fingers crossed the tight obi (belt) won't cause me to faint in the stifling heat!
The final result


2 comments:
super keuze van yukata Inge! Persoonlijk vind ik de blauwgekleurde yukata zelfs schoner dan die dure yukata.
Have fun in Belgium! en geniet nog van je tijd met Vaughan!
Staat je beeldig Inge. Breng zo een grijze yukata mee naar Belgiƫ...same size!!!
Tot binnenkort.
Post a Comment