Friday, June 22, 2007

The end of an era

Ok, 5 months probably doesn't constitute an 'era' but finishing my job at Fukuoka Now this week was a big deal to me. After a disappointing career run in Belgium in 2004 and a less-than-friendly working environment in NZ in 2005, this position as editor gave me much-needed professional confidence and a real sense of accomplishment. The deadline-related stress & long hours were hard to get used to -I certainly never stopped complaining about them!- but I learned soo much about Fukuoka, got to meet scores of interesting people & became friends with several of my workmates. And on Wednesday night they surprised my with a gigantic bouquet of flowers, including blue roses because they know it's my favorite colour (the staff photo below was taken in celebration of Nick's wedding this week) :-). Overall balance: +++!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad that you have had a taste of a good work environment finally! Your position there sounded awesome and despite the long hours etc, must be hard to give up. They obviously appreciated you lots too :)

Inge said...

Hey Penny ;-), thanks for all your comments recently! I've been trying to write some on your blog for several months now but it keeps coming up with an 'error' mark, even if I try to change my password. But I have been following the haps in Palmy and you seem to be doing extremely well lately :-). Sorry to hear about Michael's sister, I hope the entire family will be ok. See you in NZ in November!

Anonymous said...

Inge,

WaW er is veel bijgekomen op je blog!het is een beetje surrealistisch te lezen hoe jij afscheid neemt net nu ik mijn 3 jaar visum heb ontvangen. (jawel!); Geniet nog en tot binnenkort!Bethjex

James Heneghan said...

Well done on successfully completing your work at Fukuoka Now, Inge! I'm sure you did a great job and I hope you enjoy your next position just as much as you enjoyed this one!!