Tuesday, June 26, 2007

On departing

Now that my departure date is approaching ever faster, I have so much I still want to write about on this blog - possibly not even for the readers (sorry!), but more to remind myself of all the different aspects of Japan that have bewildered, entertained, frustrated & delighted me over the past two years. Yet between packing, last-minute visits to favorite haunts, heaps of socializing and trying to stay sane in the June heat, there's been little time left for contemplation or analysis. One thing is pretty clear though: it'll be a tough goodbye. For some reason I don't feel quite ready to leave this amazing life behind - it's like the experience has even more to offer, and part of me thinks that the work I put in adapting & forming a good circle of friends needs to wield longer results. Ah well, I guess it's better to leave on a high note with a bit of longing left than to jump on a plane dying to get the hell out of Japan! In the meantime I'll soak up every moment and enjoy the next 6 days to the fullest! And if I find a few spare minutes, I'll start posting my reflections on life in Fukuoka. You stand warned ;-)...
Our weekends are getting busier & busier these days, with the most recent one filled with Emi's birthday party (+karaoke) on Friday night, a dancing & drinking session until 5am on Saturday -no photos available, phew!- and a vist to Roman & Kelsey in Amagi on Sunday. Tiring, but certainly the stuff of good memories :-).
For as long as we've known our JET friend Roman he's entertained us with stories of his town Amagi, located in the real inaka (countryside) with nothing but frogs and ricefields as companions. While I found Amagi more charming than Roman described, Vaughan and I do count our blessings that we live so close to the city and a beach. Thanks for showing us around though, I never get tired of seeing rice paddies!

1 comment:

James Heneghan said...

Enjoy your last few days, Inge!

I'd do almost anything for just one more day of the life I had in Fukuoka!

Anyway, best of luck with everything and I hope you keep this blog up and running once you've left Japan!