It's been almost a week now since I left Fukuoka and I'm definitely suffering from withdrawal symptoms. While being back in Belgium is great, I do feel somewhat lost, displaced and out of touch with my family & friends. I know this fish-out-of-the-water phase is perfectly normal, but missing Japan during my two months at home seems a shame. Fingers crossed I snap out of it soon... During my melancholy moods I've been thinking about the aspects of life in Fukuoka I long for, and the ones I can certainly live without. Here it goes!
THINGS I MISS: - having a large (and wonderful!) group of friends - discovering new places - the tatami & futons in our flat - our proximity to Momochi Beach - random torii along the streets - Japanese politeness - nomihodai/tabehodai deals - our beloved kotatsu - red lanterns outside restaurants - summer matsuri (festivals) - cheap teishoku (set meals) - Hakata ramen (oh Ippudo!) - vending machines (so handy!) - attention to detail & sense of aesthetic - green tea - umeshu - women in kimono - onsen!! - heated toilet seats ;-) - incredible generosity of most people - the idea that Kyoto is only a 3-hour shinkansen ride away - getting away with stuff because you're a foreigner THINGS I CAN LIVE WITHOUT: - crazy cyclists on the pavement - oppressive, sticky humidity in summer - cockroaches - 'irrashaimasen!' screamed in a nasal tone - travel agents without a clue - tasteless, fluffy bread - traffic lights that take forever to change (or am I just impatient?) - pricey cinema tickets - karaoke (sorry!) - square-shaped baths - Japanese work ethic (too long!) - electrical cables everywhere - mullets (anyone agree with me on this?) - being pointed and/or stared at
Any other opinions? I'd love to spark a debate so feel free to leave comments or make a list of your own!


2 comments:
Hey guys. Interesting blog from you Inge. Yes, I agree that there's certain things that you do miss (I very much agree re matsuri) & that there's definitely some things you don't (karaoke!!). Have you decided what's next? If you're coming back to NZ be good to catch up.
I miss Mitsuya Cider, Hakata ramen, karaoke, chikatetsu, ramune, mini-skirts and knee-high boots in autumn, Cybac, vending machines, konbinis and practically everything else.
Post a Comment