Monday, July 02, 2007

Sayonara

Well, the time has finally come for me to wave my life here goodbye and move on to different shores :-(. I can't begin to explain how these past two years have impacted me & how our stay in Japan has reshaped the way I see the world -great to get rid of some of my Eurocentric views & replace them with an Eastern perspective. To say that I'll miss Fukuoka is an understatement, but hopefully I can leave the nostalgia behind and focus on what lies ahead as well (I tend to live in the past too much!). So sayonara to our lovely flat, our neighbourhood, fantastic Fukuoka and most importantly of all, goodbye to the people who've made life here so satisfying & meaningful. My next blog post will be from Belgium - home sweet home...

The golden shores of Momochi beach - or the next United Colors of Benetton ad ;-)? At my goodbye party yesterday 15 good friends gathered in an afternoon of eating, drinking, chatting, photo taking, and ocassionally crying as the end grew closer. Unfortunately only half of the people appear on this photo, but arigato, thanks, cheers, gracias to everyone for your presence, the cards & gifts!!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Hope you have a safe trip home, Inge! Thank you for sharing your adventures and experiences with us!

Kelly said...

It's been a blast reading about your life on the other side of the world Ms Inge! You have had some truly eye opening, mind blowing experiences and I am in awe of you for taking this challenge and giving it your all. See you back in NZ later in the year!

Sayonara from Kelly in Palmy

Roman said...

Inge, I hope you've made it back home safely. I honestly don't know where to begin but i must say that i will miss you. on the way back from mama mia i passed your place and thought, "when will i see inge again?"

life for me in japan will begin "anew", if you will....and though i may perhaps make new friends i will truly miss our talks and friendship. saying good-bye is not one of my strong points...i would rather leave saying, " see you later." you and vaughn are not only great people, but wonderful friends as well. and i consider myself lucky to call the two of you friends. i intend to visit you guys in the near future...wherever you may be, we shall meet again. till then please keep in touch and don't forget about me.
yours truly,
Roman

Anonymous said...

ingechan iro iro arigatou!!!! Have a wonderful summer:)

Inge said...

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments, they take the sting out of my departure (at least a little bit). I feel weird & out of place in Europe at the moment, but I'm sure it'll get better soon. Hope you're all well in Japan & New Zealand :-).