Saturday, May 10, 2008

Chill pill

The past two weeks have been an unbelievable rollercoaster ride of activities, (volunteer)work, people and emotions; to the point where I am now feeling physically exhausted and mentally drained. When the first five chapters of ‘Heart of Darfur’ reduced me to a teary mess yesterday, I realised it’s time to slow down, take a deep breath and c-h-i-l-l! Part of my current state is self-inflicted because I haven't really followed RMS advice and "set out clear boundaries" with regards to my volunteer work. But who can remain distanced when you're dealing with a refugee family who's been through hell at home in Iraq and is now facing huge challenges here in New Zealand? When the family arrived we were full of hope for their future in Wellington, but only a week later mismatched housing and a life-threatening medical crisis made their new start very bumpy indeed... It's not my place to reveal too much of their private life, but a few days ago H. and A. became parents to very premature twin girls, both weighing a mere 700 grams at birth... Everyone involved is crossing all fingers & toes that they'll make it and will grow strong and healthy - maybe a prayer here & there would help as well :-).

Luckily the family is incredibly resilient and optimistic, which is all the more surprising if you consider their country's background. I've recently immersed myself in Iraqi history and non-fiction books, and each tale is more depressing than the other. For me personally finding a balance between caring enough and caring too much is proving difficult, but I guess that's a luxury 'problem' compared to the daily battles most Iraqis face. Still, maybe I should listen to Vaughan's wise words and read mindless fluff for a while, no point in worrying myself sick about a situation I can't change... There have been plenty of relaxing times as well though, like getting to know my fellow volunteers, fun dinner parties with new friends, a housewarming full of Belgians (well, three of them, which is a lot here down under!) and the possibility of new jobs for Vaughan & me. Have I mentioned how much I love our life here :-)?

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad that you finished your post on a positive note and that things are going well for you despite the stressful and emotional situation with your refugee family. Keep your chin up and make sure you do atleast one thing per day that is solely for yourself and your own enjoyment - be it a long hot bath, something naughty to eat, playing on the swings, buying yourself flowers - whatever. Treat yourself each day because you deserve it!

I have Heart of Darfur on my To Be Read pile at the moment. In some ways I can't wait to read it and yet I also find myself putting it off too.

Inge said...

Hey Kelly, thanks for your kind advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind! As far as 'Heart of Darfur' goes, be prepared to use a box of tissues because it is a heartbreaking book. Well worth the read though, it taught me heaps about the situation there. Take care :-).

Melissa said...

Inge, I have to commend you on your volunteer work. It sounds like you really have a heart for these people- a sincere desire to help them. I will keep them in my prayers...

Anonymous said...

Hello Inge,

If you want to borrow the 'Flair', let me know!

See you soon,
Annegreet