Who would have ever thought I'd turn out to be the workaholic type?? Granted, I've always had a tendency to get slightly obessed by projects I felt passionate about (like the Senior Year Book at high school, travel guiding with KrisKras or my editing job in Japan), but all of these were short-term and required no enduring, ongoing effort. With my new job the timeframe is much longer, yet I'm so excited about the prospects that I can't seem to let go at the moment. Instead of just doing the work, which in itself requires quite a bit of overtime, I'm dreaming up lots of big ideas on how to improve processes and ways to do things better next year. It's heaps of fun, yet has been wearing me out a bit as well. Thank the lord for the new full-time staff member who recently joined our team! The long hours and slight trepidation of what's to come are well-worth it though, especially when chatting with the NZAID students about their experiences in NZ and back home. I've learnt so much from them in the past few months, whether it's about gender discrimination in the Maldives, tribal disputes in Papua New Guinea, anti-corruption laws in Cambodia, sustainable mining in Mongolia, Kenyan wildlife conservation or any other topic under the sun. My 4 months so far at Victoria International can only be described as a wild rollercoaster ride - exciting, exhilerating and exhausting all at once! Here's to 2009 and to me coming out at the end of it with all limbs and senses intact :-). 

Acting silly with Patrice from Trinidad and Tobago (we were asked to assume an America's Next Topmodel pose!)


1 comment:
Isn't it wonderful to have a job that you love and care about though? And where you feel what you do is rewarding and worthwhile - and appreciated? I think you are one of the lucky few you manage this in their lifetimes.
Enjoy yourself Ms Inge but make sure you take time to smell the roses too m'dear!
Post a Comment