Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Up and away

As long as I can remember I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm unfit, afraid of heights and loathe to climb anything steeper than a 3-step ladder. But lately I've been thinking that maybe it's time to review this self-perception and find my inner mountain goat! Ok, I wouldn't put it in exactly those terms but my defeatist attitude of 'I can't do this' is really just a way to avoid challenging myself. So in line with the goals I've set for my 30th birthday, I've decided to seek out a few more challenges and tackle them head-on. Well, that's the rhetoric anyway - I'll keep you posted on how it gets turned into reality ...

A first step in the right direction was taken last weekend, when we ventured to Vaughan's home province Taranaki to show the region to a couple of Belgian friends. My energy levels were incredibly low after several weeks of non-stop working & going out, and this became pretty apparent first thing on Saturday morning. While our friends raced up the tracks on Mount Taranaki barely breaking a sweat, I huffed & puffed and was fighting both minor heat exhaustion and an upcoming headache. In the end though, a full-blown migraine attack was averted, my legs didn't collapse and I stuck with it, which made me rather pleased with myself :-). Thank god for small blessings huh!

2 comments:

Nathalie Snauwaert said...

het moest blijkbaar tot vandaag duren eer ik je blog ontdekte... leuk!
en laat die berggeit in je maar ontwikkelen ;)

annemie said...

Mount Taranaki,herinner ik me als de dag van gisteren. Nog steeds een prachtig zicht.
Waaw ..Inge, dat jij helemaal tot boven geklommen bent.