Before leaving on this volunteer trip I did plenty of research on the Kenyan post-election violence of early 2008; I'm a curious control freak after all! I read newspaper & magazine articles, looked up websites, watched You Tube clips, talked to my Kenyan NZAID students and asked Lauren from GVN as many questions about Pipeline IDP Camp as possible. But none of this extensive research could have prepared me for the situation on the ground, both in positive and negative sense.
At first glance the condition at Pipeline IDP Camp, with its torn UN tents, overflowing toilets, open sewers and piles of rubbish really shocked me and made me wonder if I could contribute anything at all here in my measly two months here.
At first glance the condition at Pipeline IDP Camp, with its torn UN tents, overflowing toilets, open sewers and piles of rubbish really shocked me and made me wonder if I could contribute anything at all here in my measly two months here.
But when you look closer you notice that this is actually a well-organised community of 6,500 people with a 30-number committee, designated plot numbers for each tent and cared-for shambas (veggie gardens).
The community has also set up an Early Education Centre for 120 children (located in this UNICEF tent) and, thanks to volunteer donations, Pipeline now has a running medical clinic and a business centre. I wasn't really expecting so many facilities so it's clear that the IDPs have taken a lot of initiative since relocating to Pipeline two years ago. Having said that, the need for permanent shelter, employment, sanitation, waste disposal and secondary schooling is still overwhelmingly high.
My first job now is to get the know the community to find out what the most pressing needs are and how I can assist. The children have definitely embraced this mzungu ('white person') already and the love is mutual :-).


No comments:
Post a Comment