Tuesday, August 15, 2006

First impressions of home

Dreaming about Europe while in Japan can at times be deceiving because my idealised hallucinations conveniently never include negative elements, like rude French airport staff (avoid Paris airport at all cost, you stand warned!), chilly summer weather or reverse culture shock aggrevated by fatigue & jet lag. Still, arriving back in Belgium, seeing everyone again and eating much-missed treats is a privilege to be savoured! Right now I'm still too tired to write any coherent sentences, but more stories will follow...
A room with a view: church outside my bedroom in the tiny town of Poperinge

Today Ilse & I visited our schoolfriend Lieve and her 1-year-old girl Ida, a delightful baby! The cake in the picture was proudly baked by yours truly; how great to finally have an oven at my disposal :-).

Ida up close

2 comments:

Inge said...

Hm, I've never looked at it that way, most of the time I'm just annoyed that the church bells wake me up at 8am! I do love churches these days though; you rarely see them in New Zealand & they're completely absent in Japan...

Anonymous said...

Hmm yes didnt think about the church bells - mainly cos bells only get rung in churches here for weddings and funerals these days!

- Kelly