Monday, August 07, 2006

Hanabi Revisited

As mentioned in my previous post, this Saturday we planned on checking out another fireworks festival, this time with a bunch of our Japanese friends. The display along the Chikugo river in Kurume is reportedly the biggest hanabi in Kyushu, which unfortunately also means it attracts ridiculously huge crowds! So in order to secure a decent viewing spot Vaughan & I decided to get there early and hang around for several hours just chatting, eating and people-watching. All of the above was great fun, especially admiring the enormous colourful variety of yukata most girls were wearing. It went slightly downhill when we returned to our blanket at 7pm, only to find it discarded on the side and a security agent sternly telling us the whole area was off-limits... Hm, this would be one consequence of our inability to read signs in kanji!
By the time Ikumi & Yasuko had arrived, I had managed to throw the blanket on a last remaining piece of concrete, so we were all happy campers :-).
Emi, Yukino (dressed up in her yukata for the occasion), Kayo & Kaki
Me (with Yukino's fan), Vaughan & Yukino's visiting Korean friend Songmi

These fireworks were on a much bigger scale than the display in Ohori Koen & were so large and overwhelming it felt the sky was coming at you!

Psychedelic images...

Everyone was obviously in awe of the whole spectacle!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Inge!
I wanna see you in Yukata next time!! Have a good trip back home. ;)

Anonymous said...

Great job with the fireworks pictures! Whenever I try to take pictures of them, they never turn out. I wish I could've been there. I saw a firework coming home from the Detroit airport. It was over the highway. Almost as cool?