I've been back in Belgium a week now and have spent most of my time in the tiny town of Poperinge, where I was born and where both my mother & brother have moved back to in the past year. Being a city girl, it's taken me by surprise just how much I have enjoyed exploring the countryside in this region, it's so serene & peaceful! Or have I simply spent too much time amidst the concrete skyscrapers of Japan? Who knows, but right now I'm soaking up as much fresh air and wide green vistas as I can, because on Monday I'm off to Gent, a metropolis in comparison with its 150 000 people and thriving nightlife :-).

View across the countryside with approaching rain

My mother forced to pose
The picturesque church of the village of Westouter
Poperinge is widely known for hop, the main ingredient for beer. When in Belgium...!
Country lane


1 comment:
Enjoy the open spaces. I really disliked that about Japanese cities - far too much concrete! Mind you you could say much the same about places like NY.
How's Vaughan feeling about all this pregnancy talk?
Also good luck with your essay. I'm afraid my field work in Laos has gone down the tubes. tell you the story later; suffice to say bloody bureaucrats!
Post a Comment